Restoring Sanity or Pulling a Fast One?

rally-to-restore-sanityWhen I first heard about Jon Stewart’s Rally to Restore Sanity, I was intrigued and maybe a bit excited. The rally – scheduled to occur in Washington, DC next month – promised to be an event for those “who feel that the loudest voices shouldn’t be the only ones that get heard.”

A thought-provoking, non-name-calling gathering of concerned yet reasonable people? Now that’s my kind of event!

Or, is it?

I am less enthused now that Comedy Central’s Stephen Colbert has announced his “March to Keep Fear Alive” on the same day. Are these competing marches – clearly a response to Glenn Beck’s Restoring Honor Rally last month – simply condescending publicity stunts done in poor taste?

What happened to the more evenhanded approach suggested by Stewart’s original premise?

Protest rallies and marches are a regular occurrence in our nation’s capital. I’ve lived here for 25 years, and there’s been only one cause that got me off my couch and marching to the Lincoln Memorial: the demand to end homelessness back in the 1980′s.

Despite my loathing of large crowds, I initially planned to spend a precious weekend day and join the throngs of other reasonable people who object to the direction the vocal majority wants to take our country.

But, I’m not willing to be part of charade which scorns and mocks that vocal, conservative majority.

What’s your take on the events planned for 10/30/10?

Comments

• Cindy L Says:
    9-22-2010 13:49:53

I tend to side with Stewart and Colbert, politically, as long as they don’t get as ridiculous as Beck (who is an embarrassment to his own movement). But I am with you on the large crowd issue. People tend to get swept up into the anger, the silliness, etc., and I don’t know how much is actually accomplished, either way.

9-22-2010 18:54:10

The rally is real. Colbert is on tap to reach people who enjoy his particular type of satire. I’m a fan of Stewart and would attend the rally if I didn’t live 600 miles away. It’s time someone stood up for the reasonable, working majority who want the people elected to government to govern in a way that makes this country better for our children.

• Catherine Says:
    9-23-2010 14:28:37

After listening to Jon Stewart on Oprah, while the rally is actually taking place, it didn’t sound as if anything substantive was on tap. I am going to pass.

• Cindy's Coffeehosue Says:
    9-30-2010 11:47:34

I think both rallies are real, and I think the “competition” between Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert is a great way to get attention and promote the event. Actually, I think it’s all one event, packaged in two different ways — straight versus satirical. I love making fun of the so-called news outlets that simply want us Americans to be afraid of each other all the time. What is more liberating than to make fun of fear! And I think Jon Stewart’s message of restoring sanity is vitally important, too. I’m tired of extremists acting as if they speak for those of us in the middle.

By the way, I think the majority of Americans are NOT “conservative” a la Fox News. Obama won by a clear majority, and his platform represents the new majority, the new center. The people who used to be in the center (and are now right-of-center) don’t want to admit that the electorate has changed, so they keep trying to portray the majority who voted for Obama as “lefties” when actually, we’re the new center.

• Claribel Says:
    6-26-2015 14:43:55

As a long time Romney supporter part of me is tltlaoy disgusted that Gingrich’s supporters would stoop so low. This “documentary” is so full of lies and distortions and is so anti free market business that anyone that is even close to this is disqualified in many republican’s minds from participating in politics, from the right anyway.On the other hand maybe we should be thanking them for showing how really ridiculous this argument is. And, how many lies you have to tell to make this even plausible. It’s not like Obama’s campaign wasn’t doing the same thing already. Now, because this is coming from the right, everybody gets to know how ridiculous this line of attack is before we get to the general election.

• http://orghelp.ru/supplemental-insurance-plans-for-individuals.html Says:
    12-28-2015 10:05:43

How neat! Is it really this simple? You make it look easy.